Are you excited about spring but don't know how to express it? Do you yearn to climb mountains yet find yourself passed out on the couch every weekend? Do you feel stuck visiting the same trails over and over again?
Then you need Connecticut Trails Day, an annual celebration of the outdoors organized by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. On June 4 and 5, outdoor enthusiasts of all types will be hitting the trails and waters of locally preserved lands, coves and creeks as well as some of the state's 139 state parks and forests.
Local land trusts, among others, are sponsoring the dozens of guided hikes, educational walks and paddles happening this weekend. There are hikes suitable for families and dogs on leash, trails for more experienced hikers, kayak and canoe excursions and even scavenger hunts on land such as the recently completed Beebe Trail in Lyme.
Visit www.ctwoodlands.org/CT-TrailsDay2011 for more details on each hike, including where to meet, how to pre-register and who to call with more questions.
Connecticut Trails Day events, June 4-5
• 1 p.m. Saturday: Devil's Hopyard State Park
• 10 a.m. Sunday: Sheepskin Hollow Preserve
• 10 a.m. Saturday: Oswegatchie Hills Nature Preserve
• 9:30 a.m. Saturday: Bluff Point to Haley Farm
• 10 a.m. Saturday: Sheep Farm and Fort Hill Brook
• 10 a.m. Saturday: The Merritt Family Forest
• 9:30 a.m. Saturday: Nehantic State Forest/Nayantaquit Trail
• 9:30 a.m. Saturday: Beebe Trail (with scavenger hunt)
• 9:30 a.m. Sunday: Selden Creek on a kayak
• 10 a.m. Saturday: Poquetanuck Cove on a kayak or canoe
• 9:30 a.m. Saturday: Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center/
Stone Bridges Trail
• 10 a.m. Saturday: Private lands of Brad and Mimi Borden
• 12:30 p.m. Saturday: Lohmann-Buck-Twining Preserve
• 10 a.m. Saturday: Great Cedars Conservation Area
• 9:30 a.m. Saturday: Gungy Road Upland Forest Trails
• 9 a.m. Saturday: Pachaug State Forest/Nehantic Trail
• 9:45 a.m. Saturday: North Cove on a kayak or canoe
• 4 p.m. Sunday: Cross Lots Preserve (with educational games
and scavenger hunts)