New London — A building at 258 Bank St. was temporarily evacuated after a gas leak was reported this morning.
Battalion Chief Marc A. Melanson said a passerby alerted the fire department to the odor shortly before 9 a.m. Melanson said elevated gas readings were detected in a manhole cover outside the building. The fire department checked other buildings and manholes in the area but did not find any other elevated gas readings.
Yankee Gas arrived at the scene and discovered the small gas leak, but it did not require the evacuation of other buildings in the area, and people at 258 Bank St. were allowed to reenter the building.
Bank Street in that area was closed while firefighters investigated. One lane has since reopened.