New London - Ethan Graynor hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning Sunday leading the Mitchell College baseball to a 6-5 win over Southern Vermont in the season finale for both teams.
Mitchell swept the three-game weekend series, winning each game in walk-off style. The Mariners finish the season 10-18, and 9-9 in the New England Collegiate Conference.
Freshman Drew Doyle of Mystic was 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI, Rafael Garcia was 3-for-4 and Evan Peck had two hits for Mitchell.
In other games:
• Matt Martinez had four hits, including two homers, to lead UConn-Avery Point to a 23-9 win over Monroe in its regular-season finale. Martinez scored three times and drove in five runs. Bryan Rivera, Mike Habzda and Tyler Olt also homered for the Pointers (29-14). Pawcatuck's Tyler Tavares, East Lyme's Ryan Brahm, Rivera and Olt had three hits each, Rivera drove in five runs and Brahm and Rivera scored four times each. Christian Dzienkiewicz (3-0) was the winning pitcher.
• UConn scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning, rallying for a 7-4 win over Louisville in a Big East Conference game. Jon Testani and had a pinch-hit, two-run double and Eric Yavarone had a two-run single in the ninth for UConn (24-20, 12-6). Old Lyme's Ryan Fuller singled, doubled and scored twice and Billy Ferriter was 4-for-5 for UConn.
• Ted Christopher won the 40-lap SK Modified at Stafford Motor Speedway's season-opening Spring Sizzler. Christipher held off Eric Berndt in a green white checkered finish for his 95th career SK win and his 115th overall feature victory at Stafford. Salem's Joe Gada finished 12th.
Keith Rocco won the 30-lap Late Model race, holding off Woody Pitkat for the win. Scott Cook of Uncasville finished 12th. Doug Coby won the 200-lap Whelen Modified Tour race at Stafford, leading for 89 laps. Ron Yuhas Jr. of Groton finished seventh.
• UConn closed out its regular season with a 4-3 loss in 10 innings to Syracuse in a Big East Conference game.
UConn (21-26, 9-13) won't know if it has qualified for the Big East tournament until other teams finish play.
Waterford's Jen Ward was one of four UConn seniors honored before the game, and went 1-for-5 with two runs scored.
• The Connecticut College coed team finished sixth out of 16 teams at the George Morris Trophy Regatta in Boston. Conn, ranked 20th, had 177 points. IG Schottlaender and Katie Andril were fourth in the A division with 69 points and Jordan Bothwick and David Rex were 10th in the B division with 108 points.
Conn also finished 11th at the MIT-hosted New England Team Racing Championship.
College women's tennis
• Conn College ended its season with an 8-1 win over Hamilton College Saturday in a New England Small College Athletic Conference match. Sara Krivoshik, Pawcatuck's Jen Herbert, Maria Pia Sifuentes, Britt Badik and Maddie Swanson won singles matches for Conn (5-15, 1-6).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Wes Duncan scored five goals and had an assist, leading Williams School to a 16-0 win over St. Andrew's Saturday. Charles Maynard and Xavier Mills scored four goals each, Sam Mills scored twice and Will McKenzie had a goal and an assist for Williams.