Idle Thoughts, while waiting for Mark Teixeira to discover Robitussin, K.G. to remain with the Celts and Sun-Liberty today in Neon Uncasville:
Mr. Idle, Mr. I to his close friends, would like to issue this public service announcement to all parents of high school kids here in our corner of the world:
The Eastern Connecticut Conference has decided to play most of its championship games - baseball, softball, boys' lacrosse, girls' lacrosse, girls' tennis - the same day: this Friday. (Same night as a Sun game, too).
ECC poohbahs must think the gutty, gritty Day paper has a staff bigger than the New York Times.
• Can someone explain why the Red Sox have to be such clowns, like, all the time?
Whose idea was it to honor Tim Wakefield at 4 o'clock on a Tuesday in May?
What, Lincoln's Birthday was already taken?
Rows of empty seats last Tuesday.
Because, you know, people work. Kids go to school.
They play 81 home games.
They couldn't have honored Wakefield on some summer night?
Mr. I is pretty sure Mariano Rivera Day at Yankee Stadium won't be 4 o'clock on a Tuesday in May.
But then, that's the Yankees.
Can't hit with runners on base.
But they know how to throw a party.
• If Josie from Josie and the Pussycats married Tampa Bay Rays infielder Will Rhymes, divorced him for former Angels pitcher Mike Witt and finally settled on Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants, that would make her Josie Rhymes Witt Posey.
(Sorry, couldn't resist).
• Mr. I's pal Bob Reagan of Niantic on the perils of Coast Guard softball pitcher Hayley Feindel, the record-setter whose career was terrorized by umpires with illegal pitch fetishes:
"Great move by Coast Guard to deep-six her number," Bob wrote. "Incidentally, if I go to Alaska and fall out of the boat, I sure hope Haley is on duty to save me! And I don't care if she takes an 'extra step' before she throws the rope!"
• Reader John McSweeney writes: "I always look forward to Mr. I's periodic appearances in the N.L. Day, with your pithy observations on various topics in sports.
"But in your last column a few weeks back, which I believe was your first since the BC Men's Ice Hockey team won the National Championship, their third in five years and fourth in 11 years, there was no mention of the Eagles. Is Mr. I not a hockey fan?"
Mr. I writes: Mea culpa, John. Hideous omission. Thanks for setting Mr. I straight.
Mr. I is such a hockey fan that he points out that BC guys Brian Boyle and Chris Krieder are carrying the Rangers.
• R.I.P. to the great Donna Summer.
Doesn't get much better than "Dim All The Lights."
Or as Mr. I's good friend (and great East Lyme softball coach) Judy Deeb once said, "turn the lights down low."
This is the opinion of Day sports columnist Mike DiMauro.