Orange - Mike Masso of Lake of Isles won a pair of close matches to advance to the quarterfinals of the 110th Connecticut Amateur Championship men's golf tournament at Race Brook Country Club on Wednesday.
Masso, the 27th-seeded golfer in the 32-player match play field, defeated No. 6 Dave Szewczul of Tunxis Plantation 1-up in the first round and then needed 21 holes to outlast No. 22 John Flaherty of TPC River Highlands in the second round.
Masso will face the 2011 runnerup, Matt Smith of Quinnatisset CC, in today's quarterfinals at 8:36 a.m. The semifinals will take place in the afternoon and the final is scheduled for Friday at 8 a.m.
Two other local players were eliminated in the second round. No. 8 Nick Torrance (Lake of Isles) lost to No. 9 John Jackopsic (Gillette Ridge) 3 and 2 after defeating No. 25 Eric Bleile (Sterling Farms) 2 and 1 in the first round, while No. 29 Phil Perry (Black Hall) was ousted by No. 20 Ben Conroy (Eclub of River Valley) 6 and 4 after beating No. 4 Jeff Hatten (CC of Farmington) 3 and 2 in the first round.
No. 14 Dave Jones (Mohegan Sun) lost in the opening round to No. 19 Alex DiClemente (Fairview Farm) 1 up.
Tigers lose 9-7
• Jacob Tanis hit a game-winning two-run single with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning as the Vermont Lake Monsters rallied to beat the Connecticut Tigers 9-7 in the first game of a New York-Penn League Stedler Division doubleheader at Centennial Field.
Vermont scored three runs in the sixth inning. Chad Lewis doubled to lead off the Lake Monsters' sixth inning and scored on Kelvin Rojas' single to tie the game, 7-7. John Wooten went 3-for-4, including a two-run home run, for Vermont (6-3). Tanis went 4-for-4.
Zach Kirksey hit a grand slam for the Tigers (2-7) and Jared Reaves had an RBI double and scored.
Gulls beat Schooners
• Conor Keniry (Wake Forest) went 3-for-5 and scored twice as the Newport Gulls beat the Mystic Schooners, 9-4, in a NECBL game played before 2,277 at Cardines Field. Jeff Melillo (Rutgers-New Brunswick) doubled and scored three times for Newport (9-3).
Ryan Lindemuth (William & Mary) went 3-for-5, including a double, and scored for the Schooners (2-12) and Anthony Turgeon (Central Connecticut State) added a solo home run.
American Legion Zone VI
• Edgard Santiago pitched a two-hitter as New London improved to 12-4 with a 3-1 victory over Niantic.
Drew Doyle had a double and RBI for New London and Pete Aldrich added an RBI single. Losing pitcher Jordan Bartlett allowed only three hits for Niantic (6-6).
• Buddy Dewaine Jr. and Tyler Guetens each had two hits as Montville edged Jewett City, 5-4.
Trevor Turgeon had two hits for Jewett City.
• Duane Shea's squeeze bunt scored Ryan Francis with no outs in the bottom of the eighth inning to give Ledyard-Pawcatuck its 3-2 win over Moosup.
Ryan Francis doubled twice for Ledyard-Pawcatuck and Matt McElwee added two hits. Tyler Shaw had two hits for Moosup.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Winning pitcher Colin Harrington struck out nine with no walks and helped his cause at the plate with two hits, including a double, as Waterford beat Tri-County, 12-3. Brian Gencarelli scored three times for Waterford. Steve Burtelson tripled for Tri-County.
• Mickey Amanti's RBI single scored Paul Martinez in the bottom of the ninth inning to give ESH's a 3-2 win over the Pirates in an ECML game Tuesday night at Washington Park. Yohandy Gonzalez and Rob Bono combined to pitch a three-hitter with 16 strikeouts while Amanti and Martinez each had two hits. Scott O'Neill had three hits for the Pirates.
District 10 LL (9-10)
• Salem-Bozrah defeated Montville 18-2 as winning pitcher Nikki Marsh and Caitlyn Sievers each scored four runs. Abby Bradford had two hits and Abbey Tracy a double for Montville.
• Mystic defeated Waterford North 17-7 behind winning pitcher Casey Flax, who also had two hits and scored three runs. Nora Ryan added two hits and four runs and Olivia Travers had a triple and single for Mystic, while Kayla Job had two doubles and Cassidy Susi singled twice and scored twice for Waterford North.
• New London beat Pawcatuck 9-8 on Tuesday night as winning pitcher Jovanna Potter struck out eight and also homered. Olivia Wells drove in the go ahead run with a single and Spencer Roman had two hits for New London.
District 10 LL (9-10)
• New London beat Groton 5-3 on Tuesday night as Steve Cantres (nine strikeouts) and Tyler Gmyr combined to pitch a two-hitter. Alejandro Santiago had the only hit for New London while Chip Kamerica doubled for Groton.
• Mystic beat Colchester 14-4 on Tuesday night as Pacey Steele homered and Giovanni Valentine, Tyler Cady and Andrew Kerst each had three hits. Chris Palamar doubled for Colchester.