Norwich - The Connecticut Tigers couldn't hold on to a 3-0 lead, falling to the Lowell Spinners 4-3 in a New York-Penn. League game Sunday at Dodd Stadium.
Connecticut (15-19) scored a run in the second and made it 3-0 when Benett Pickar hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning. Lowell (10-24) scored three runs in the top of the fifth inning to tie the game at 3-3.
Deven Marrero tripled in the top of the seventh and later scored on a fielder's choice by Dreily Guerrero to give Lowell the lead.
The Tigers beat the Spinners 5-4 in 13th innings Saturday night, winning the game when Juaner Aguasvias singled homer Danry Vasquez, who had doubled. Jared Reaves had two hits and Vazquez had three hits and scored twice.
Section II Junior softball (13-14)
• Mystic advanced to the championship round with an 18-0 win over Newington. Olivia Knotts and Caroline Taber had three hits each and Amber Salazar and Mackenzie Aldridge had two hits each for Mystic while Laureen Szczsney, Jacky Lewis, Nalissa Amar and Taber each had a triple. Taber also pitched all five innings and struck out 12. Mystic plays the winner of today's Newington-Brooklyn/Killingly Wednesday at 5:30 p.m., at Moosup. If Mystic lost that game the teams would play again Thursday.
Section II Little League (10-11) baseball
• Adam Gibbs homered, doubled and drove in four runs as Mystic beat Sprague-Franklin-Canterbury 12-2. Mystic is 3-0 in pool play and plays Ellington today at 7:30 p.m., at Glastonbury. Tom Taber went the distance and struck out five for the win. Jason Kilcoyne singled and homered, John Marcolina doubled twice and Taber doubled and tripled for Mystic.
State Babe Ruth (15)
• Host Simsbury beat Trumbull 7-6 in the losers' bracket final and advanced to play unbeaten Waterford in the championship round. The teams play today at 5:30 p.m., with a second game to follow if necessary.
State Babe Ruth (13)
• New Milford beat host Waterford 5-3 in the first game of the championship round, to win the state tournament. Spencer Hoagland singled home Ben Pickowitz with a Waterford run in the top of the first inning and Justin Keating singled and later scored on an error in the second for Waterford. New Milford scored twice in the first, once in the second and twice in the third for a 5-2 lead. Waterford added a run in the fifth when Alex Petchark scored on an error. Chase Speller and Mike Rocchetti also had hits for Waterford.
• New London saw its season come to an end, falling to Unionville 2-1 in 12 innings in the second round of the state tournament. Unionville scored both of its runs on bases-loaded walks, opening the scoring with one in the top of the 8th and breaking a 1-1 tie in the 12th. New London (23-8) sent the game to extra innings when Izzy Davila's sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth scored Aaron Hill.
• Logan Gordon pitched a three-hitter to lift Norwich to a 2-0 win over Montville in the regular-season finale for both teams. Both teams will play in the state tournament, which begins Saturday. Gordon struck out 12 with one walk. Jeff Fitch scored on a squeeze bunt by Steve Sieczkowski in the bottom of the sixth inning to help Norwich (15-9) win. Greg Benjamin pitched a four-hitter for Montville (16-8).
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Ben Dellacono and Kyle Whipple had three hits each as Pawcatuck beat Waterford South 10-0. Dellacono also pitched and struck out five in three innings. Sean Cioci had the only hit for Waterford.
• Matt Abbey homered and drove in four runs to lead East Lyme I to a 10-0 win over East Lyme II.
• Mystic beat North Stonington 16-0. Cam Whalen homered and Ben Flax and Owen Payne had two hits each for Mystic. Ken Turner and Wes Bruce had doubles for North Stonington.
Sutera tournament (10-11)
• Tyler Cady singled and tripled to help lead Mystic to a 6-3 win over Pawcatuck. Pacey Steele and Cady combined for the pitching win. Cooper Wall and Sean Bessette had two hits each for Pawcatuck.
• Jared Plikus had a two-run single in a five-run fifth inning that lifted Montville to a 9-7 win over Waterford North. Zach Southard doubled twice and Nick Bonner tripled and got the win in relief for Montville. J.R. McBride had a bases-loaded double for Waterford.
• Nolan Connolly was the winning pitcher as East Lyme beat Lyme-Old Lyme 3-0. Nathan Diaz, Owen Robbins and Alex Fraser had doubles for East Lyme. Tait Sawden and Zach Gidius had two hits each for Lyme-Old Lyme.