Troy, N.Y. - Tyler Hanover drove in four runs, including a three-run homer in the fourth inning, as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Tri-City ValleyCats 6-4 on Monday night in the New York-Penn League.
Hanover went 3-for-5 for the Tigers (16-19), who will try to sweep the NYPL's best team (25-10) in the series finale today at 11 a.m.
Patrick Smith also had three hits for the Tigers, including an RBI double in the first, while Edgar De La Rosa (3-1) allowed only one run and five hits over five innings to pick up the win. Second baseman Devon Travis added three singles.
The Tigers also announced that former Red Sox outfielder Bernie Carbo will appear at Dodd Stadium on Sunday and sign autographs on the concourse prior to a 4 p.m. game against Jamestown.
Mystic splits with Sanford
• Matt O'Herron (Franklin Pierce) went 3-for-4 with two runs as the Mystic Schooners edged Sanford Mainers, 6-5, in the second game of their New England Collegiate Baseball League Eastern Division doubleheader at Goodall Park.
Eric Yavarone (UConn) hit a two-run double for Mystic (6-28). Also, A.J. Rataic (St. Edwards) pitched 2 1/3 innings of relief with two hits, a walk and a run to earn the win.
In the first game, Blaise Lezynski hit a two-run home run for Mystic, however Sanford won, 4-2.
• New London routed Jewett City 12-5 in a game called after six innings because of darkness. Bryan Cespedes scattered five hits over four innings for New London (13-12) while Brandon Russo had two hits and scored twice for Jewtt City (5-19).
Section II LL (11-12) baseball
• Mike Burrows pitched a three-hitter and struck out 10 as Waterford South completed pool play with a 2-1 victory over Norwich. Despite the win, Waterford South did not qualify for the section title game, finishing 3-2 in the tournaament. Chris Percy had the game-winning hit for the District 10 champs, a single that drove in Trevor Yeomans. Glen Faber added a double.
Sutera (11-12) baseball
• Trevor DeLesdernier struck out nine as East Lyme I defeated Waterford North 15-5. Will Luzzi hit a grand slam and DeLesdernier a home run for East Lyme. T.J. McBride homered for Waterford.
• Andrew Field and Ben Dellacono homered and Harrison Hoops hit a grand slam as Pawcatuck topped Groton 11-1. Taylor Wolfgang's solo home run was the only run for Groton.
Sutera (9-10) baseball
• Manish Rane-Castrodad pitched a two-hitter as Mystic beat Waterford South 12-0. Pacey Steel had three hits and Giovanni Valentine and Bret Noreika had two hits each for Mystic. Anthony Tonucci and Justin Kane had Waterford's two hits.
• Michael Smith went 4-for-4 and drove in eight runs with a grand slam and pair of doubles to lead the Pirates over Northeast Nine 15-2. Tyler Tavares and Adam Regnere also had a pair of hits for the Pirates.