New London High School's Caleb Camacho has accepted a full scholarship to play football at Sacred Heart University, Whalers' coach Duane Maranda announced Monday.
Camacho also received a full scholarship offer from Central Connecticut State. He will sign his letter of intent Wednesday on national signing day.
Camacho, who played both receiver and safety, had 32 receptions for 536 yds and eight touchdowns this past season and a team-high 87 tackles.
Sun add Gillom as assistant
• Jennifer Gillom, a Women's Basketball Hall of Famer, will be an assistant coach for the Connecticut Sun this season, the team announced Monday.
"I am super excited to be working with Jennifer," first-year Sun coach Anne Donovan said. "Our connection goes back to the 1988 Olympic team when we played together. Jennifer brings a wealth of experience to our team. She won a gold medal recently as an assistant coach in London, and she has WNBA head coaching experience. She will be a huge asset to our organization."
Gillom was a head coach for both Los Angeles (2010-2011) and Minnesota (2009). She was an assistant for the Washington Mystics last season as well as an assistant for the 2012 Olympic gold medal-winning USA basketball team.
"I am very pleased to be joining a top notch organization and a well-respected coach and person in Anne Donovan," Gillom said. "I have a good rapport with many of the players and look forward to a successful season."
• Tara Gabelman scored 16 points and had nine rebounds, leading Connecticut College to a 64-60 win over Nichols College in a nonleague game. Kayleen Murray had eight points and seven rebounds and Carlee Smith scored seven and had five assists for Conn (9-12).
H.S. boys' basketball
• Montville outscored Norwich Tech 15-8 in the fourth quarter, rallying for a 45-42 win in the nonleague game. Buddy Dewaine scored 14 points for Montville (5-11), which snapped a six-game losing streak. Mike Froscello scored 14 for Norwich Tech (1-12), which has lost six straight.
• Jake Lusker had 15 points and 11 rebounds as Fishers Island bounced Oxford of Westbrook, 42-27. Tim Hoch had 12 points, seven steals and five assists for Fishers (11-1).
• St. Thomas More lost to St. Andrew's 54-47. Qadeer Morgan had 13 points and nine rebounds, Kris Carroll scored 10 points and Reggie Gaunichaux had nine points and eight rebounds for T-More.
• Sloane Sweitzer had 17 points as Old Lyme won its third game in a row, 54-43, over Hale-Ray of East Haddam in a the Shoreline Conference game. Hannah O'Brien scored 14 for Old Lyme (5-12). Missy Martin scored 15 for the Noises.
• Courtney Osborn won the all-around (35.33) as Woodstock Academy beat East Lyme, 137-88, in an ECC gymnastics meet. Ashley Detuzzi finished fourth in the bars for Old Lyme, and she and teammate Caroline Montanaro tied for fourth on the floor. East Lyme is 2-10, 1-4.
• Eric Sloan of Montville set a team record with a perfect 50 in standing, leading the Indians to a 862-856 win over Ellis Tech in a Connecticut High School Rifle League match. Sloan finished with 196 out of 200 for Montville (3-3), followed by Tyler Glynn with 181 and Nathan Zawicki with 180.