Worcester, Mass. - Coast Guard's Nate Giorgio, a sophomore All-American, earned a bid to the NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships by placing second at 125 pounds at the NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Championships Sunday at WPI.
Giorgio, the top seed in the weight class, won the semifinal match with a 10-1 major decision over Tom Casper from Springfield, but lost 6-4 in the championship match to No. 2 Ricardo Gomez from Ithaca. He will compete in the NCAA Division III Championships on March 15-16 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Giorgio placed fourth at 125 pounds to earn All-America status at the NCAA Championships last season.
Luke Taylor, ranked fifth at 174, lost his semifinal match when he was pinned by in 1:25. Taylor then had to medically forfeit his next match and finished sixth.
Mike Giorgio, who began the day in the 141 losers' bracket, pinned Abubaker Sow from Oswego in 4:19 and registered a 5-2 decision over Nick Scotto from Wesleyan to earn a spot in the third-place match with a spot in the NCAA championships on the line as the top three get automatic spots. Giorgio, unranked in the weight class, lost 6-1 to Dominick Giacolone from Ithaca. Giacolone also beat Giorgio 2-0 on Saturday to knock him into the losers' bracket.
• UConn-Avery Point lost to Roxbury Community College in the NJCAA Region 21 tournament final for the second straight season, falling 88-68. Haley Cooper and Jackie Riera scored 19 points each, Kim Bouten had 13 points and Mikayla Wells scored 11 for Avery Point (12-7), which trailed 44-23 at halftime. Roxbury was the NJCAA Div. III runnerup in 2012 and 2011.
• Top-ranked St. Thomas More lost in the New England Prep School Athletic Conference Class AAA tournament final at Beverly, Mass., falling to No. 3 Brewster Academy 77-75 in overtime. Marquise Moore scored 21 points and had six assists, Duane Notice had 19 points, seven assists and five rebounds and Gabe Levin had 18 points and 10 rebounds for T-More (29-5).
• UConn won its fifth straight game, beating Stetson 9-3 at DeLand, Fla. L.J. Mazzilli drove in four runs, Billy Ferriter, Eric Yavarone and Mazzilli each had two hits and Jon Testani drove in two runs for UConn (6-3). Brian Ward (1-1) was the winner, allowing two earned runs over seven innings with five strikeouts and two walks.
• UConn scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and went on to beat Penn 5-1 in the Central Florida Spring Fling at Orlando. In the sixth, Emily O'Donnell had a two-run single and former Fitch standout Brittany Duclos had a pinch-hit RBI single and later scored.
Kiki Saveriano (5-1) allowed six hits over 6 1-3 innings, striking out six with one walk for the win. Audrey Grinnell, Jacklyn Dubois and O'Donnell had two hits each for UConn (8-6).
• Scott Baldeshiviler of Groton won the Kelley's Pace Hare Hop in Mystic, completing the three-mile course in 18:25. Liz Gray of Pawcatuck was the top female finisher, coming in ninth overall with a time of 21:52.
Also finishing in the top five were Peter Barbera (19:13), Bob Lane (19:42), Stephen Schonning (19:59) and William Rondini (20:26). Brad Highcore was sixth, Mark Gravell of Mystic was seventh, Groton's Tanner Leclair was eighth and Kurt Hansey of Mystic finished 10th.