Published May 02. 2013 4:00AM
Groton — Matt Greene and Matt Martinez had two hits and two RBI apiece Wednesday leading the UConn-Avery Point baseball team to a 7-0 win over Quinsigamond Community College at Washington Park.
Alex Miller had two hits, a run scored and an RBI and Chris Mayhew two hits for the Pointers (33-7). Tyler Mikula (4-0) was the winning pitcher, allowing no runs with three strikeouts.
Avery Point will play home at Washington Park in the best-of-three National Junior College Athletic Association Division II Region 21 playoffs beginning Friday. The Pointers play the Community College of Rhode Island on Friday at 4 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m., if necessary.
In other games:
• Coast Guard Academy broke a 6-6 tie with four runs in the seventh inning, beating Mitchell College, 11-6, and setting the program's single-season win record. Cameron Carroll had a single, double and three RBI and Ed Sella had two hits and two RBI for the Bears (22-16). Rafael Garcia had two hits and Nova Crespo of New London had two hits and an RBI for Mariners (21-12-1).
• Billy Ferriter went 3-for-4 with two doubles and four RBI as UConn beat Holy Cross 8-0. L.J. Mazzilli also had three hits for the Huskies (27-19).
• Mena Buscetto pitched a five-hitter and struck out eight as St. Bernard defeated Wheeler 10-1 in the ECC Small Division. Buscetto also had two hits and two RBI for the Saints (5-6, 3-2) while Alex Santiago had three runs and scored two runs and Shoshana Berkman added a two-run double. Kyle Baker had two hits, including a double, for the Lions (3-5, 2-3) while Raven Houch was 2-for-2.
• Haley Brennan had a hit and scored New London's only run in a 7-1 loss to Killingly in the ECC Medium Division. Samantha Overton had the other hit for the Whalers (0-11, 0-6).
• Nicole Teixeira's triple was Grasso Tech's only hit in a 14-1 loss to Kaynor Tech. The Eagles are 4-8.
• Norwich Tech was held to one hit, losing to Platt Tech of Milford 26-5 in a CSC game. Cerena Dean-Rathbun singled in the the fifth for Norwich Tech.
H.S. boys' golf
• Trevor Hutchinson earned medalist honors with a 43 as Grasso Tech defeated Hartford Classical 195-228 at Keney Park in Hartford. Steve Robarge added a 45 for the Eagles while Stephan Kral shot a 52 and Justin Van Dyke a 55.
• J.T. Giegerich and Matt Cummings each shot a 39 to lead Old Saybrook (167) past St. Bernard (203) and East Hampton (190) at Fenwick Golf Course. Dylan Julian (46) had the low score for the Saints (1-8).
• Medalist Matti Fuller shot a 1-over 36 (three bogeys, two birdies) as Old Lyme defeated Portland 161-172 at Portland Golf Club. The Wildcats are 3-2.
• Nick Kamireddy had the low score for Norwich Free Academy, firing a 40 in a tri-match at Glastonbury Hills Country Club. Justin Bohara had a 44 for the Wildcats (6-1), who finished with 179 strokes to beat NW Catholic (180) but lost to Glastonbury (158).
H.S. girls' golf
• Woodstock Academy handed NFA its first loss, 238-244. Katie Strickland shot a 57 to lead the Wildcats (4-1) and Sydney Maurer added a 61.
• Kyla Henry shot a team-low 60 for East Lyme in a loss to Hand, 234-261. The Vikings are 0-4.
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Brendan Strobel scored eight goals to lead St. Thomas More to a 14-3 win over Falmouth Academy. Oleg Deyle and Tristan Peacock had two goals each and Dylan Adams, Joey Posillico, Cody Johnson and Peacock had two assists each for T-More (5-1).
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Mercy jumped out to a 10-1 halftime lead and went on to beat St. Bernard 16-4 Tuesday night. Maria Theiler scored twice for the Saints (3-7).
H.S. girls' track
• New London went 1-1 in its tri-meet Tuesday, losing to Bacon 103-37 in an ECC Large Division meet and beating Parish Hill 71-54 in a nonleague meet. Francie Jacque was a triple winner for New London (1-5, 0-3), taking the 100, 200 and 400 meters.
H.S. boys' track
• New London went 1-1 in its tri-meet Tuesday, losing to Bacon 76-74 in the ECC Large meet and beating Parish Hill 118-22. Orrin Parke (100, 200) and Nico Ramos (high jump, long jump) each won two events for New London (2-3-1, 0-2-1). Brayan Mora, Dacoda Queenan and Jelani Lucas also won events for the Whalers and Jose Garcia and Dante Alston were on the winning 4x100 relay team with Parke and Ramos.