Published May 04. 2013 4:00AM
Nashua, N.H. - Ken Olszewski went 3-for-4 and drove in three runs to help lead Mitchell College to a 7-6 win over Elms College on Friday in the first round of the New England Collegiate Conference baseball tournament.
No. 2 Mitchell (22-12-1) plays No. 1 Daniel Webster in a winner's bracket game at 1 p.m. today.
New London's Nova Crespo had three hits, Rafael Garcia homered and Marc Dorsi had two hits for Mitchell. Groton's Al Jordan Johnson earned the victory, pitching a four-hitter over 8 1/3 innings with two strikeouts and three walks.
In other games:
• UConn beat Rutgers 3-1 in a Big East Conference game. Carson Cross (7-3) allowed one run and eight hits over 7 2/3 innings for the win. L.J. Mazzilli, Max McDowell and Stanley Paul had two hits each for UConn (28-19, 9-10).
• Coast Guard Academy's Clay Kosack won two of the five events on the final day of the decathlon to finish second overall at the Division III New England Championships at Colby College. Kosack earned All-New England honors.
He entered the day in eighth place. He was then seventh in the 110 hurdles (17.42 seconds), second in discus (112 feet, 10 inches), first in the pole vault (13-7.75) and javelin (161-10) and third in the 1,500 meters (4:28.83).
Kosack finished with 6,167 points, second to David Hardison from Bates with 6,308 points.
• Megan Weir's two-out single in the bottom of the sixth inning drove in Sarah Warzecha for the winning run as Norwich Free Academy edged East Lyme 3-2 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
NFA's Melissa Castillo went 2-for-3, including a game-tying single that scored Shaina Beatrice (two hits) in the sixth inning. Castillo also scored.
Brianne Brennan went 2-for-3 with an RBI for NFA (6-7, 2-5) and Weir pitched two innings of relief to earn the save.
Sydney Swanson went 3-for-3 with an RBI for East Lyme (11-2, 5-2) and Erica Hill had an RBI single. Morgan Lloyd also singled and scored.
• Ally Curioso had two hits, including a double, with four RBI and a run as Stonington beat Chariho (R.I.) 10-4. Christine McNeil went 4-for-4, including three doubles, with two RBI and two runs for Stonington (12-1), while Mallory Kane went 2-for-3 with two runs. Andrea Chiaradio added 10 strikeouts.
• Tori VanCleave and Megan Spellman combined to pitch a three-hitter with one unearned run in Waterford's 6-1 victory over Bacon Academy in the ECC Large Division. Jodi Weiss was 3-for-4 with a double, RBI and two runs scored for Waterford (11-2, 7-0) and Katelyn Haff added two hits.
• Kerrie Bellerose had the only hit for Norwich Tech in a 17-0 loss to Vinal Tech. Norwich Tech is 1-12.
• Frankie Lee, playing in the No. 2 slot for Norwich Free Academy, shot a 3-over-par 39 at Mohegan Sun Country Club as the Wildcats topped Bacon Academy 7-0 in the ECC Large Division. Nick Kamireddy, Dustin Bohara, Billy Wallace and Brendan Sullivan also won matches for NFA (7-2, 6-1).
• Dylan Julian was the medalist with a 6-over-par 43 at River Ridge Golf Course, lifting St. Bernard to a 5-2 victory over Griswold in the ECC Small Division. Joe Grantosky and Adam Arundel also won matches for St. Bernard (2-6, 2-2) and the Saints claimed the medal points 202-205.
• Tourtellotte beat New London 7-0. Jordan Rodgers shot a team-leading 47 for New London (1-8).
H.S. girls' lacrosse
• Maya DePasquale scored three goals in Stonington's 9-8 victory over Bacon Academy, leading 5-3 at halftime and holding off a charge from the Bobcats. Jordyn Irons added two goals and an assist and Katherine Chambers and Jenny Sieczkiewicz scored two goals each for the Bears (7-3), while Libby Morrison finished with six ground balls, five interceptions and four takeaways.
• Maddie Lahm and Catie Beggins scored three goals each in The Williams School's 15-7 loss to Wheeler (R.I.). Lili Goldberg added a goal and an assist for the Blues.