Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

Groton house fire extinguished

By Kelly Catalfamo

Publication: TheDay.com

Published November 03. 2013 7:00PM   Updated November 03. 2013 7:37PM

Groton – No one was hurt in a fire late this afternoon that broke out in a Godfrey Road home after a fireplace malfunctioned.

Fire trucks and emergency vehicles from Groton City and other area departments s responded to 40 Godfrey Rd., but by 5:40 p.m. the fire appeared to be out. Marilyn Meaias, who said she was in the house along with her mother and two other family members, said the fire started when the family’s 55-year-old fireplace malfunctioned.

Meaias said the fireplace, which is the family’s only source of heat, was dirty. The fire spread into the kitchen from coal that was on top of the fireplace, said Meaias, who added that only the kitchen seems to be damaged.

Her mother’s five dogs are safe, said Meaias, including one that was pulled from under the sofa by a firefighter.

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
There are 430 candidates in 131 electoral races in 13 Southeast Connecticut towns. Will you vote Nov. 5th?
Yes. I view it as my civic duty and I vote every election.
No. I haven't been following the issues.
Maybe. It depends on whether I can find the time.
I'm not sure my vote will make any difference.
Number of votes: 957

No current items found